Slowly Sipping Coffee or SSC is a personal finance blog run by a couple who are busy balancing family life, work life and blog life. They are on a quest to quit the 9-5 and have a lifestyle change to stay home and be full time parents by May of 2019.
[3:7] So tell us a little about yourself, what is something that most people don’t know?
· I like bluegrass music
· Plays the banjo
[4:21] You are not interested in a FIRE lifestyle but more a Fully Funded Lifestyle Change- tell us about that?
· Didn’t want to not work
· Wanted a lifestyle change
· Almost to the point of not having to work
[14:8] Where did the idea for the blog come from? Who works on it more?
· Ironic that it’s a PF blog
· Wanted to be able to have a slow enough lifestyle to sit and drink coffee
· In the beginning- it was more evenly split
· Then she started teaching- and abandoned the blog
[20:38] Tell us about a favorite blog post you have.
· April Fool’s post- investing in horse racing
· The lightbulb moments
[26:30] What advice do you have for couples who are trying to work together toward a common financial goal but have hit a tough spot in the road?
· Be open and talk about it
· Don’t get defensive
· Don’t draw a hard line- find a compromise
[30:9] You mention on your blog that having kids and a house can throw a wrench into retirement planning- what are some hurdles you guys have had to overcome?
· Saving rates
Value Link Round (VLR)
[32:46] Why do you think people struggle to achieve their dreams?
· Confidence factor
· Comfort factor
[33:6] What other books or podcasts do you recommend?
· Podcast: ChooseFI
· Books: The Millionaire Next Door
[33:45] Do you have a favorite quote?
· You can’t have everything you want but you can have anything you want.
[34:27] Any last advice?
· Don’t discount your income amount
· Track your spending