Kelan and Brittany are the power couple behind the quickly growing personal finance blog, The Savvy Couple. They have been featured on sites such as USA Today, Rockstar Finance and Millennial Money Man.
[2:23] So Kelan, you have recently quit your 9-5 job to blog full time. How’s it going? What does your day look like?
· Going great! Coming up on a year long
· Had 6 different jobs after college
· Was going to do home inspection but blogging took over
[4:12] Did you plan ahead for the career change?
· Did plan a bit
· Went to a trade school
· Saved for about a year and a half
· Had emergency fund
[8:3] Where did the idea for the blog come from?
· Knew it would be a joint effort
· Took a long time to create name
· Started over the summer
[9:28] How do you guys’ balance working on the blog and being in a relationship?
· Learning curve
· Try to have a normal business day
· 15-minute rule
· Ups and downs
[12:43] What do you guys do to be savvy with your money? Any special hacks or programs you use?
· Use Ibotta
· Budget through Mint- helps to know where money is going
[22:58] What is your first product idea?
· Will probably be blogging related
[25:50] Value Link Round: Got student loans you are trying to pay off? Refinance them and get a lower interest rate! Go to chainofwealth.com/credible and you’ll even get a few extra bucks off by signing up- it’s a win/win!
Value Link Round (VLR)
[25:54] Why do you think people struggle to achieve their dream?
· K: people are scared to go after their dreams
· B: not having the education and path for themselves
[26:42] What other books or podcasts do you recommend?
· Podcast: ChooseFI, Do You Even Blog
[27:53] What’s your favorite quote?
· K: You work for an entrepreneur or you become one
[28:19] Any last advice?
· You’re in control of your own happiness
· Podcast: smart passive income, do you even blog?, mind your business podcast
· Books: you are a badass at making money
[29:10] Do you have a favorite quote?
· Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it, the time will pass anyway.
[30:24] What is the best advice anyone has given you?
· Start pushing yourself to help achieve those steps
· Push yourself outside of your comfort zone