Andrew Fichter is the author of the blog, Shift Upwards. Here he talks about his unhappiness that he felt at his regular 9-5 and goes through the steps he took to eventually quit. After paying back $20,000 in student loans and saving about $45,000 he decided to take the plunge and retire from full time work to try out other avenues that peaked his creativity.
[2:52] So you have been semi-retired for about 6 months. How’s it been?
· September 1, 2017 was the last day
[3:22] What was your first day of not going to work like?
· Last day of work- was a normal day
· Labor Day weekend- drank beer and went hiking with wife
· Strange not going to work
[10:27] If you could go back and change one decision you made, what would it be?
· I’m not really sure
· Even the bad decisions have shaped me
· I would have decided to invest sooner
[12:42] Tell us about Shift Upwards
· Niche- finance blog
· Writes about how to use your money to live your best life
· Prioritizing what makes you happy
[14:11] What are the goals that you have for the next year for your blog?
· To network more and grow a larger readership
· To find my tribe
[15:29] What advice do you have for someone who is thinking about quitting their job to pursue their dream?
· Start off with giving yourself permission
· Don’t let naysayers stop you
Katie created this online course to teach you how to maximize your Airbnb profile.
If you’re enjoying this podcast, don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review!
Value Link Round
[17:37] Why do you think people struggle to achieve their dreams?
· It’s hard
· People want to take the path of the least resistance
· People stay in their comfort zones
[19:5] What other books or podcasts do you recommend?
· Podcast: Afford Anything, Stacking Benjamins, Planet Money: The Indicator