Connect with our Guest:
Travis Hornsby of Student Loan Planner
Travis Hornsby is the chief student loan planner at StudentLoanPlanner.com. He started started Student Loan Planner in October 2016 after helping his wife and her friends figure out their six figure student loans. Travis used to be a bond trader, so he took his excel heavy skill set and built models for how to save money paying back student debt.
[4:6] What’s one of the biggest mistakes you see people making with their student loans?
● If you graduate with a $0 loan you can consolidate with the revised pay as you earn plan
[10:10] Do you believe the student loan crisis is going to get worse as time goes on as we see rates continue to rise?
● It’s getting worse and better at the same time
● There are different tiers, $0-80k are doing pretty well.
● The average default os $10k
● $80k to $1M is where the real problem is, the original estimate on income based repayment program is wrong
● PLF is unlimited
[20:14] You have a strong history with tackling student loan debt, your wife got her debt from med school, what made you want to start Student Loan Planner instead of pursuing a career as a bond trader?
● Travis tried to retire at 25
● Travis’ wife had 6 figure of student loan debt, he met her traveling
[22:29] How important do you think it is to have an individual plan to tackle your student loans?
● You can do it yourself if you are a certain type of person
● Refinancing can be a great option if you’re married and in the private section
● If you owe more than 2x your income you probably need a plan
[28:56] 30 second elevator pitch for Student Loan Planner?
● Best group in the country to help you solve your student loan problems
● $300-$600 for a 1 hour consultation